Monday, February 23, 2009

Don't ignore a saggy pumpkin

Some time in the fall, back when most people were buying pumpkins Joanne took the kids pumpkin picking. They came home with a beautiful, round specimen that weighed about the same as Robin at the time.

It sat on our kitchen counter by the window for months and we remarked at how nice it looked and how well pumpkins seem to keep.

Some time around the start of the year we needed the space and moved the beast to the corner of our dining room by the slider...which of course is rarely used this time of year because it's too cold to go on the porch.

We knew it was there, and from the top it still looked great. We figured we'd have to get rid of it eventually before it rotted.

The other day we were having dinner and Joanne and I both remarked that the pumpkin was looking a little "flat" on the bottom. Was it our imaginations? Last night it was decidedly more so and we both had an "uh oh" look on our faces. I asked if I should go get a shovel from outside. Joanne decided that the flat part of a cardboard box would do.

Public service announcement: Throw away pumpkins before they become sort of flat on the bottom. It's not fun at that point. Also, flat-bottomed pumpkins smell kind of like rotten leaves, but more like rotten fish. Yuck.

2 comments:

luckyduck said...

That happened to me once! Only the pumpkin was painted (preschool class) and tucked away in a corner. I picked it up and it completely disintegrated. The smell lasted for many days!! :(

Nicole said...

We still have a pumpkin sitting in front of the door. I just can get myself to throw a perfectly fine pumpkin away. It's probably just a question of days.